María C. Colón Sánchez Elementary
Maria Sanchez Elementary School is a Pre-K–5 neighborhood school located within walking distance of the State Capital buildings and other landmarks. With 490 students, our school is small enough to nurture our students and teach a rigorous program of reading, writing, math, science, and character development. With school-wide projects (such as the Pennies for Patients annual campaign for children with cancer) our students learn about giving to those in need. Our students start using computers for reading in kindergarten and receive instruction on a daily basis using the Waterford Program (K-2) and Success Maker (3rd). In grades 4 and 5 students have computers in their classrooms as well as in the Computer Lab classroom and in the Media Center. Partnerships with local agencies, such as Mi Casa, bring parent programs and after-school activities to our students.
Grades Served : Pre-K -5
Type : Elementary
Zone : Zone 3
Lottery : Neighborhood, zone and siblings.
Before Care : N/A
After School Programs : N/A
Special Features and Highlights
• Full service vision and dental clinic
• Bilingual office staff (Spanish/English)
• Cultural activities and celebrations of students' heritage and backgrounds
• 2012 Grade 3 District Vocabulary Bowl Semifinals: 3rd Place
• 2012 Grade 5 District Writing Competition Semifinals: 2nd Place
• 2011 District Science Fair: 1st Place (Grade 3) in 2011
• Our staff cares about the whole student.
• Parents are involved and support the school.
• Sanchez has a small neighborhood school feel.
• All our students and staff feel safe and secure.
• The administration and teachers are always available for parents.
What People Are Saying
Students Say :
“At Sanchez the adults care about you.”
“This is the best school I have attended and I have been in a couple.”
“I like the CMT celebrations and other events for us kids.”
“The Pennies for Patients campaign raised over $1,500 last year and my class is very proud of that accomplishment.”
Parents Say : "Parents are pleased to have such dedicated staff to educate our children, teaching them not only academics but character, pride in who they are, and respect for all others, inside and outside of school."
Teachers Say : "We love the team spirit that we have at Sanchez school and the close-knit community that we have formed and developed over the last 20 years, since the school opened in 1992."
7:45 am – 2:55 pm
Blue pants and white shirts.
Mrs. Myrella Lara
176 Babcock Street, Hartford, CT 06106